Roots: Something is wrong

For the masters of shapeshifting who can take any role to support their allies. Most versatile class in Azeroth.

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Ericonius
Voice of Hogger

Roots: Something is wrong

Postby Ericonius » Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 am

I know roots might not be as definite a CC as sheep. But on Rebirth it seems totally messed. There is the odd time you cast it and you can nuke the rooted target endlessly and it won't break, but the other 9x out of 10 it never sticks. I am not talking resists, I am talking running away from a mob and casting roots on it to allow you to escape. You hope for 4-5 seconds of rooted time but here the roots always break after 1-2 seconds.

Secondly, while rooted mobs attack the next highest threat target in MELEE range. I don't remember it ever being like this. I will draw aggro off a melee party member, and then root the mob to keep it far from me. If the party member is out of melee range everything is fine, but the second he walks into melee range the mob attacks and then as soon as roots break it is back on me again.
Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Re: Roots: Something is wrong

Postby Zaakir » Sun May 08, 2016 6:31 am

Enthrall
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Enthrall » Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 am

Malavise
Voice of Hogger

Postby Malavise » Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm

I just rolled a rebirth of my original druid Malavise (daggerspine) [i'm level 8 or so at the moment], i played from day 1 as a druid main my entire career, and I can tell you definitively that from what you described roots is working as intended (or at least as i remember it.)

it was never a "real" crowd control, as it could not be depended on. though it has it's uses from time to time.

the way it works mechanically is that every "tick" of damage the mob receives "rolls the dice" for a chance to break, including the damage done by roots itself. Furthermore, there are diminishing returns on re-rooting the same target, that, again, if memory serves me well, shares diminishing returns with other root like CC (e.g. not sheep, but frost nova). the only time you will ever see a root with a decent duration is if the mob has: not been rooted yet (by yours or others), and roots is the only thing on the mob, thus you have reduced the number of "ticks" that will occur, which are each a separate chance to break. Diminishing returns moves the dice roll towards the favor of breaking.

even then, if roots is first and only on the target, it can still break after the first tick of roots damage, or last the whole duration, totally depends on the internal dice rolls.

As far as aggro that is definitely working as i remember, because in many cases casting roots was very bad as it would cause the mobs to agro to an undesirable person (the rogue) after the roots broke (after like 2 seconds) because agro mechanics were... unique... back then.

thats if you can cast it at all, as only a couple dungeons are considered out-doors and it was only usable out-doors; speaking of which i don't recall which patch specifically they started allowing us to use roots indoors... is that available on the server? I remember it being rather useless except for niche circumstances, but i do also remember after they changed it, roots made black rock very nice to provide some minor CC for pulls. I still remember it breaking easily, but i think they also affected the chance to break (less likely) in that patch as well.
Malavise, Previously of Daggerspine.
Guilds: Leader of <ForceXR>, Launch to early 2006ish (disbanded); Member of <Furniture That Kills> 2006 - BC (died); Officer of <Spears of Britney> BC to end of WotLK (died)
ZanathKariashi
Voice of Hogger

Postby ZanathKariashi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:42 pm

it does feel a little too easily broken. I hunted devilsaurs solo on live via moonfire>root>insect swarm >refresh when dots were about to expire and rarely had it break until it was nearly out of duration anyway, unless I got in a hurry and threw wraths or starfires at it which tended to cause it to break within hit or two. And did a great many group quests solo the same way up to 60 unless they were completely immune to CC.

And this was around 1.11 or so and was after they'd implemented the changes to CC durations with regard to being damaged.
Skullmiser
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Postby Skullmiser » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:23 am

Damage from Entangling Roots breaks Entangling Roots? That can't be right. Can it?
Peltmiser[A]/Skullmiser[H]
Robot
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Robot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:56 am

Return to “Druid”