A real noob with a real crave to Tank.

Me....Bash...more

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Revearith
Voice of Hogger

A real noob with a real crave to Tank.

Postby Revearith » Thu May 26, 2016 3:06 am

I've never played WoW until now. I'm level 33 and I'm really enjoying my journey so far! My end game goal at 60 is to be a Raid Tank. Right now I'm leveling up solo with a two hander and Fury spec but I want to begin to start preparing for end game so... what can I do now to prepare myself or give me a good start?

Also any Tanking related tips, dungeon guides, add-ons/ui setups(for Tanks) are welcome!

I have no idea what I'm doing except Charging into monsters. I'm a true noob who yearns knowledge! :D
Neuth
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Re: A real noob with a real crave to Tank.

Postby Neuth » Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 am

Don't know if linking other wow server sites is uncool but this is a good guide for end game tanking:
http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/1807 ... tankguide/

And in general, unbind your "turn left" and "turn right keys" and bind them to "strafe left" and "strafe right". Learn to move with your mouse.
Consider moving your "move" keys to esdf (rather than wasd) to free up the qaz for extra keybinding.
http://s158.photobucket.com/user/bloodw ... p.jpg.html

[Going to edit and add this page on agro and threat, to understand what's going on behind the scenes and what you as the tank are responsible for controlling.]
http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-o ... k-wow.html

Beyond that, read the spell tool tips for all your abilities and see if you can think of how to make the "best" use of each of them.
You'll come to a point as a warrior that you will need to explore some macros which automatically change your stances when you press them. You can google this when the need arises.

And keep asking questions. There's always something to learn.

GL.
SpectraQWERTY
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby SpectraQWERTY » Thu May 26, 2016 11:06 am

I know of ur struggles and thats how i started on this server 11 months ago, but those were different times, back 11 months ago we didnt have 5x rates and we had only ~250 ppl cap. Also my yourney as a warrior was a bit different as i speced it from lvl 10-60 and i have managed to learn every instance just by doing them that much. The community was great and i made a couple of levelign friends, who all got 60 before me, 22 days played time to 60 here ;p . Back in the day, i was the only one who did Gnomeragen on the designed lvl and uldauman with all 17 quests and prequests complete. With the great community how it was i managed to become one of the top tier tanks and am now main tanking for <Renascentia>. I was being forced into respecing to another spec when i got to 60 for raids but i refused as i loved tanking that much. For any other ingame tips contact Daaki, Signac or Maisha (myself) and feel free to talk about any topic are ask questions.

-Maisha
"Moon shines upon the guilty, and the innocent alike."
bikeflexxer
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby bikeflexxer » Thu May 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Bazinni
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Bazinni » Thu May 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Kadol
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Kadol » Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 pm

One of the biggest things you need to learn for tanking is how threat and aggro work and the threat values and threat modifiers that your abilities cause; you can probably find these very easily in most Vanilla tanking guides. It's very easy to just copy a rotation that someone tells you, but if you don't learn why you're doing it, you won't be able to come up with your own solution to problems when unique situations come up.

There's tons and tons of things to learn about tanking in order to get really good at it, a lot of which is just learned from experience. I'd recommend doing as many dungeons as possible once you reach 60, and don't raid until you have a complete set of dungeon tanking gear. There's nothing worse in this world than a tank who just did raids right away while still in greens. They'll learn absolutely nothing and be terrible for a very long time.

Feel free to contact me in-game if you have any specific questions. I don't know if I would call myself a master at tanking, but I've been main tanking for my guild for almost three years now, so I've picked up a few things.

Oh, and don't level as protection like someone earlier in this thread said they did. I did the same thing when I was leveling, and looking back I regret it. There is no reason to until you reach 50ish, because you won't need the extra threat from shield slam and defiance until BRD. You can tank pre-50 dungeon's perfectly fine as fury.

Best of luck!

Return to “Warrior”