Rebirth recruitment event

Hogger raid? Panda hunt? Here you find what you're looking for!

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

If we were to have an event to attract new players, which option would you prefer?

Player initiated event, no staff involvement
6%
Official announcement, no bonusses
6%
Official announcement, standard quest xp event, only during weekends
No votes
Official announcement, standard quest xp event, one week every month
2%
Official announcement, standard quest xp event, continuous
12%
Official announcement, quest xp event with extra xp for elite/dungeon quests, only during weekends
14%
Official announcement, quest xp event with extra xp for elite/dungeon quests, one week every month
26%
Official announcement, quest xp event with extra xp for elite/dungeon quests, continuous
14%
Official announcement, instant lvl 20
2%
Instant lvl 60 with naxx gear, infinite gold, full GM commands enabled and a murloc pet
18%

Total votes: 50
Nick
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Rebirth recruitment event

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:00 pm

We've been talking about organizing an event to attract new players to the server for a while now. I've seen some good ideas being proposed, perhaps it's time to see which ideas are the most popular and put this into action. As a start date I would propose somewhere after the Blizzcon, and a duration of approximately 3 months, depending on the different options. To encourage old players to reroll as well, how about a race to lvl 60? At the start of the event create a character with a codename like rbraceXXXX, with XXXX your name, to see who reaches lvl 60 first? And offer the winner a prize like a diablo pet, a WoW tabart or whatever, and the second and third get second and third choices. After the race is over a namechange can be requested to get a normal name.
Nickje, the hunting cow
badmorning
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Re: Rebirth recruitment event

Postby badmorning » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:16 pm

I mentioned this when I originally suggested the idea of re-roll, but I'll say it again; we need to keep our message to outside players simple. It's the first rule of advertising. People want others to progress with and that's exactly what we should broadcast. Any embellishment to that message will just take away from it.

When it comes to internal marketing to get our current players to re-roll for the event - I agree that they should be given a extra reason to re-roll, but I don't think a race to 60 is it. It puts new players at a disadvantage, simply by the fact that they won't be able to send gold to themselves and they won't have friends to boost them through contest. You can see how resentment and bad press can result from this. IMO the race should be kept between guilds, which all could use an influx of new players, so that newcomers then have a chance of participating in the race.

Now I think the concept of a race attached to this event is exciting, but for the aforementioned reasons it could backfire in terms of PR. Keeping it guild-only would diminish that risk and encourage our current players to help new ones, for the sake of their guild winning the race. I think this could be further helped if interested guilds were contacted and a gentleman's agreement on "rules of engagement" was established, so that the playing field is as even as possible. A separate prize for "newcomer guilds" is also an idea that I think is worth processing.

For the record - I am not trying to shit on anyone's dreams and I don't want to shut down the idea of a race altogether. Whatever we do there is going to be a risk-reward element to it and I, for one, think new pop and fun we could all have from this outweighs the negatives.

TL;DW - Keep the message simple. Make sure new players can participate.
Fallenseraph
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Fallenseraph » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you all for your input. We will keep listening to the new ideas posted here.
Community Events Sub forum: viewforum.php?f=24
Shanazon
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Shanazon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 pm

If im completely honest here, I dont think we'll see a shift one way or the other until blizzcon goes down. I think people now are either playing Legion, or biding their time until blizz makes an announcement one way or the other. If (When) they say that they're not doing legacy, I think we can expect a fairly large uptick in population.
badmorning
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Postby badmorning » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Yeah, that was already established. The even is planned for some time after Blizzcon.
Fallenseraph
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Fallenseraph » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:06 am

klavier285
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Postby klavier285 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:09 am

If Blizz doesn't announce legacy servers people have been speculating Nost may reopen
Fallenseraph
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Fallenseraph » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:26 am

Gengy
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Gengy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:10 am

Make the experience only 2x
Nick
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:44 pm

The idea of a race was just an optional addition to the event, and to be honest I probably wouldn't participate in the actual race since I don't like rushing content myself. There are two reasons to have it though. First is to motivate competitive players to reroll and second is to watch and cheer at people, like in the Tour de France. You are right that sending gold or boosting people would give an unfair advantage, but it's also impossible to distinguish between new and old players. If we are to have a race therefore, we'll need to trust the old players not to send gold or boost people and implement some rules, even though they cannot always be enforced, also not too different from the Tour de France ;)

Currently the winning poll seems to be: Official announcement, quest xp event with extra xp for elite/dungeon quests, one week every month. So let's just assume staff agrees with this too. We'll need a start date, probably an end date, and integer numbers for the xp multipliers (also making the assumption that different kind of quest xp multipliers are feasible). I can make some suggestions, just say what you think about this:

First event start date: Saturday, 12th of November, 20:00 PM server time (1 week after blizzcon)
First event end date: Monday, 21th of November, 6:00 AM server time

Second event start date: Saturday, 17th of December, 20:00 PM server time
Second event end date: Monday, 26th of December, 6:00 AM server time

Third event start date: 21th of January, 20:00 PM server time
Third event end date: Monday, 30th of January, 6:00 AM server time

Normal quest xp multiplier: x3
Dungeon/elite quest xp multiplier: x5
No multiplication with rested bonus possible, and of course all of this being optional.

Everything is up for discussion so just post what you think :) Also if this is too fancy, as simple full rested bonus, to be set with a command would work too.
Nickje, the hunting cow

Return to “Community Events”