Potential Solutions to BG Problems

A place of discussion for those engaging in PvP across Rebirth.

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Kadath
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Potential Solutions to BG Problems

Postby Kadath » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:15 am

Two things have been happening a lot lately that are really sucking the enjoyment out of battlegrounds here on rebirth:

First, the past month has seen tons and tons of alt popping. Since I play Alliance, I mostly notice when Horde does it (which is a lot) but I assume it happens on both ends. It sucks losing a game because you are 6v7 then 7v8 then 8v9 etc and every time you ask in global for a player to even out the numbers, somehow you end up man down again. Yeah, the honor grind sucks, and it sucks that more Alliance don't queue, but that isn't an excuse to try and get yourself into a game unfairly and disadvantage the other team. It's bad for the health of the server.

Second, there are tons of orphan games that begin as 5v1 or something stupid like that, where enough people join to prevent the game from ending after one team already has a sizable advantage, or one team gets a free win. I think we can all agree that the server would be better off if such games never happened, or at least happened more rarely.

I thought of a potential solution for both of these problems that wouldn't be too difficult to implement:

Make the rebirth_pvp channel display the name of players on either side when they queue, for everyone to see. This will allow both sides to police alt popping by taking note of the players that always queue but never join games, or queue then log off right away, etc. This would greatly assist the GMs with identifying who the trouble makers are. (On a side note, it would be nice if there were a dedicated speaker for the channel. It sucks when someone who has you on ignore becomes the speaker and you can't see any of the information.)

Additionally, players should be able to queue for however many BGs they want at once, but as soon as one BG pops, the player should be automatically removed from all other queues. This should stop the orphan games from happening as often, since people won't be jumping ship from one BG to another to avoid a hard game.

I think these changes would greatly benefit all PvPers. Games will be more likely to be fair and even matchups, and horde won't have wasted a queue on an orphan game as often, though the wait for a game might increase slightly. If anyone likes or dislikes these ideas, please let me know why.
Vier
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Re: Potential Solutions to BG Problems

Postby Vier » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:24 am

Yea, I'd be like, oh, that terrain exploiting pappap is queueing? screw queueing up. I dont want to be in a game with that guy.
.-.-.-

-Viertzen
Enthrall
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Enthrall » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:35 am

Branch
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby Branch » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:41 pm

I tend to think that the main problem behind the unbalanced team numbers lays at the feet of the players who queue but don't join, not necessarily alt-popping. Alt-popping does happen, and the GMs ban players for this when they catch them, but I don't think it's as common as some like the theorise. I might be wrong here though, it always surprises me when I hear a player has received a ban for alt-popping. Maybe I'm just naive.

Naming players might help the situation, I like that solution. However how about also limiting the time that a player can click on the "enter battleground" popup (credit to Zyokk, I think, who suggested this a while ago)? If players are given one chance to enter, and that chance lasts 20-30 seconds, then it should limit the number deferring their entry and causing imbalance.

I like your suggestion about losing your other queues when you join a BG. I myself am guilty of queueing for WSG and AB at the same time, then mid way though one battle ground, having the queue for the other pop. I then hit "hide" and not "enter" which means that the Horde team in the other BG will be a player down.
ByteKnight
Voice of Amnennar the Coldbringer

Postby ByteKnight » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm

There seems to be another issue. Sometimes a bg pops when you're infight (farming etc). In this case you don't get the enter bg window right after leaving combat, in some cases I didn't get it at all (being one of the first in queue!).

I agree with Branch, I don't think it's all alt-popping. I think it's a couple things combined that cause these weird games. The reason for alliance to be one man down more often is pretty obvious to me, if someone on alliance doesn't join the bg, then that's it, one man down gg. If the same happens on horde, there are 10 people behind that person in queue and one will eventually get in.

And yes, it happens often enough for horde too. You have no idea how often someone says in gchat or global "need more people in wsg, it's 4v5 (or whatever)" and then people go like "lol there's 10 people in q".
Zyokk - Shiroe - Chask
Betsy

Postby Betsy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Every time its like a 8v9 and someone joins and it's now suddenly a 9v10 it's been altpopped. Thats like at least 30% of the time.

A guy got banned for trying to fix the server and continues to do so, que the ungratefulness in 5.

+1 on the naming scheme.
Branch
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby Branch » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:28 pm

ByteKnight
Voice of Amnennar the Coldbringer

Postby ByteKnight » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:42 pm

Just played a game and vespria (that's neuth yeah?) left midgame. There's your problem, it's neuth.
Zyokk - Shiroe - Chask
genuvien
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Postby genuvien » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:45 pm

I also like playing against pappap. He actually tries. It makes it more fun. You have a hunter abstint or something, he plays hunter correctly and it's nearly impossible for me to kill him without getting a lucky crit.
RunTheJewels <Hate>
Betsy

Postby Betsy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Return to “PvP”