Totems and Raiding

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Manatee
Voice of King Gordok

Totems and Raiding

Postby Manatee » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Since the release of AQ and totems breaking several encounters, and still crashing the server on Ouro, I figured I'd compile a list of what totems break in each 40man.

Hopefully this might inspire the devs to fix an entire faction's fight issues.

World Bosses

Kazzak - Heals from killing totems

Molten Core

Magmadar - Throws a blob of fire at a random target which then creates a damaging aoe there. As this includes totems you have to be very careful with placement or your melee get set on fire constantly.
Magmadar - When the entire raid is feared, Magmadar will aggro onto a totem, usually mana spring. He can then breathe fire on the raid.
Ragnaros - Totems with mana are targets for Rag's aoe knockback, which means you can't place them anywhere near any players or they'll get punted.

Onyxia

When the entire raid is feared, Onyxia will aggro onto a totem, usually mana spring. If she breathes fire at this point it's usually a wipe. This is not an Onyxia specific bug, it's just most brutal here.

Blackwing Lair

Nefarian - See Onyxia.

An'Qiraj

Twin Emperors - If the closest target to the Emperors after they teleport is a totem, the totem gets the bonus threat and is one shotted.
Ouro - When Ouro submerges, if he targets a totem he crashes the server when he emerges again.

Conclusions

1) Mana spring totem is generating threat. It shouldn't. See where the main tank is feared but Ony continues to swing at him over targetting a totem. See also , . This bug may also apply to healing stream. Any fight with a raid wide threat wipe is made harder by these bug, and there are a lot of them.
2) Totems are not meant to be valid targets for random target abilities. Some bosses like Vaelastraz already have this correct, others like Magmadar's floor aoe, Jin'do's delusions and Ragnaros' targetted aoe knockback do not. This bug usually has the effect of trivialising fights or making them far harder.
Noklar
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Re: Totems and Raiding

Postby Noklar » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 pm

I know this is about 40 mans, but in general totems are an issue. In scholo the other day a Mage sheeped a mob and that sheeped mob still ran up stairs to kill a totem.

I think the totem system in general needs fixed, which would help 40 mans. By coding specific 40 man changes the totem issue will still be present.
MEGAPENIS5K
Voice of Hogger

Postby MEGAPENIS5K » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Also I'm pretty sure Grace of Air 3 is just following the shaman around like a pet not giving them the buff...
amfilohije
Voice of Hogger

Postby amfilohije » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm

ZG - Jin'do the Hexxer

We can't use totems, cause they get cursed and then we don't have enough power to kill shades.
Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Zaakir » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:29 pm

MEGAPENIS5K
Voice of Hogger

Postby MEGAPENIS5K » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:33 pm

There shouldn't be any threat from Blessing of Wisdom Mp5 ticks...
Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Zaakir » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Robot
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Robot » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:58 pm

I'd also like to point out that totems were always immune to aoe effects (by both NPCs and PCs). Kazzak shouldn't be able to kill totems unless he runs over and melees one. Stoneclaw totem should be the only totem that applies threat. Because totems are immune to fear, this results in totems aggroing bosses when their threat targets are feared/incapacitated. I'd also like to second the point that no random secondary mob abilities should target totems, with the exception of grounding totem.

As an aside about grounding totem, I never played horde on retail and didn't have much experience with using that in raids, but it seems that many boss abilities are susceptible to grounding (Vek'lor's shadowbolts, for example). My understanding from retail was that most bosses were immune to grounding effects for their primary target abilities (and many secondary abilities as well, such as Burning Adrenaline).
Manatee
Voice of King Gordok

Postby Manatee » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Zaakir » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Return to “Quests / Dungeons / Raids”